There’s a lot of things to brag about in our city. We have the BEST hockey franchise in the WORLD, an incredible venue for sports/concerts/events, amazing trails & parks, exciting festivals, unique and beautiful architecture…but one thing we don’t have is a casino.
It could be the feature that’s been missing, providing a significant boost to our local economy, creating jobs and increasing tourism throughout the year. It could be a bad idea, making our fine city look tacky, attracting the wrong type of people and businesses.
So what do YOU think?
I saw a story from 980 CFPL earlier this week that said the City of London’s corporate services committee held a meeting behind closed doors on Tuesday to discuss a possible casino for London.
Here are some of the highlights of what you need to know:
- In May of 2017, Gateway Casinos and Entertainment (Canada’s largest private casino operator) took over slot operations at Western Fair.
- The company spends $6 million a year on the current lease that expires in 2020.
- Gateway is looking to build a casino with a hotel, restaurants, table games and slots in London and their primary choice would be at Western Fair. They want to either buy the land or work out a new lease deal.
- Gateway plans to spend $140 million to build the casino and would create 700 jobs (they currently employ 300 with the slots).
- If the Western Fair location falls through, they would look at other sites in London.
- It would take an estimated 12-24 months to build the casino.
- The corporate services committee are meeting TODAY to discuss the lease agreement between the City of London and the Western Fair Association.
I think it’s fair to say that whether you like it or not, we’ll be hearing about this a lot more as this develops.
I’m not big on gambling, but have been to a few casinos in my day and always had a blast. I’ve won a few small jackpots (like under $200), but have to say it’s pretty exciting! You just have to be realistic, set a spending limit and know which games to avoid!
If we do get a casino in London in the near future and I do happen to win a MASSIVE jackpot…I hope that I would fare better than this poor lady!